From the vault: Watch Rush perform “I’ve Been Runnin'” – a previously unreleased, unrecorded song that was performed at Laura Secord secondary school in St. Catharines in 1974 with original drummer John Rutsey. Plus an exclusive interview with Alex Lifeson where he discusses those early years.
“The sudden passing of Jack Bruce is terribly sad news. One of the greatest rock bassists to ever live and a true and profound inspiration to countless musicians. He was one of my first bass heroes and was a major influence on my playing and my music. My heartfelt condolences to his family and fans.” – Geddy Lee
On behalf of Alex, myself and the entire GUP team I’d like to say a huge ginormous THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH to all of our fans, friends, and followers who took the time and spent their hard earned money to support this Grapes Under Pressure 3 Ebay auction in support of Grapes for Humanity Canada. Your money will go a super long way to help rebuild health care facilities in the Philippines that were damaged or destroyed in the Haiyan Typhoon. You have helped a lot of people!
Thank you all for caring!
my best to you,
Tune in to watch Geddy Lee in The Mind of the Baseball Collector, airing on Sportsnet Monday, October 13th at 7:00pm ET.
A glimpse into the minds of three very different baseball collectors, their most prized possessions, the interesting stories they’ve acquired along the way and what drives them to keep coming back for more.
The Grapes Under Pressure eBay auction has been fast and furious since went live on Friday!
Some of the standouts include 53 bids for a signed Different Stages promo photo, 27 bids for a signed Moving Pictures Live test pressing, and 15 bids for Geddy’s home studio used Ovation acoustic guitar.
Things will really start to heat up as we move towards auction closing times on Monday evening, Oct. 13th.
You can watch the action here: http://bit.ly/GUP3auction
Or even better, join in the fun and make a bid! It’s all for a good cause.
Included in the auction are:
– An autographed Geddy Lee Custom Shop Relic Fender Jazz Bass (limited edition, only 50 of these basses have been built as an exact replica of Geddy’s stage bass).
– An autographed Alex Lifeson Signature Gibson Axcess Les Paul Guitar signed by Alex, Geddy and Neil.
– A Rush autographed DW Snare Drum with NHL Logos Limited Edition, one of only 6 built.
ALL proceeds will be directed to Grapes for Humanity, Canada www.grapesforhumanity.com
Grapes for Humanity Canada is proud to partner with Magna Children at Risk, and proceeds for this exclusive event will go directly to rebuild health care facilities in the Philippines which were damaged by the Haiyan Typhoon.
Thanks for your support!
Geddy & Alex
Neil Peart’s latest post, “Science Island” where he covers his soulscape in The Laurentian Mountains of Quebec, rhythmic stamina, rowing and a recent visit to one of the most important places in his life – Le Studio. Read it here: http://www.neilpeart.net/index.php?cID=274
Starting at 6pm ET today, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson will launch the most rock memorabilia on eBay as part of their Grapes Under Pressure 3 initiative in support of Grapes for Humanity, an organization that helps to raise funds to benefit humanitarian causes around the world with the assistance of the international wine community.
Included in this auction will be a wide range of rare, vintage & autographed Rush items! We’ve already unveiled Geddy’s shoes worn on the R30 tour and the awesome 1980’s era Rush road case.
These items and more start rolling out at 6pm ET until 10pm ET tonight, so check back in to see what other goodies get revealed and make your bid!
The auction closes in 10 days on October 13.
View the GUP3auction items here: http://www.ebay.ca/sch/grapes4humanity/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= and BID!
ALL proceeds will be directed to Grapes for Humanity Canada www.grapesforhumanity.com
The focus of Grapes for Humanity is to provide a better quality of life for victims and survivors of disasters. We help these individuals become self-sufficient citizens to go on to lead fulfilling and productive lives. Funds are raised through various international wine events, wine auctions, corporate and private home wine tastings. Through our partners we direct the proceeds of these events to those in immediate need. Grapes for Humanity is an organization that is run on the strength of its volunteers. We pride ourselves on the fact that all monies raised go directly to our chosen partner.
This weekend Geddy Lee & Alex Lifeson will host their Grapes Under Pressure 3 event. This charitable fundraiser, which raises money for Grapes for Humanity Canada, enables GFH to provide much needed relief to those less fortunate around the world.
Next week, Geddy & Alex will launch phase two of GUP3 which will boast the largest ever single auction of Rush signed & vintage paraphernalia including vintage instruments, vinyl test pressings, touring gear, rare autographed items and more.
In the meantime, we leave you with the first awesome item on the list: Geddy Lee’s shoes worn on the R30 tour.
Each print is numbered and individually signed by Alex. All proceeds support The Kidney Foundation of Canada. This is a unique opportunity to own a special piece of RUSH memorabilia, all in support of a cause close to Alex’s heart. Visit www.kidney.ca/atlantic/alexlifeson to get yours now.
Set features live footage spanning all four decades of their career
Over two hours of unreleased material, including a rare performance of entire seven-part version of ‘2112’,
Three unreleased tracks from the 1974 vault
Plus Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
2014 marks the 40th anniversary of the release of Rush’s eponymous debut album in 1974. This superb collector’s box set brings together live performances by Rush from each decade of their career. It includes “Rush In Rio”, “R30”, “Snakes & Arrows Live”, “Time Machine 2011: Live In Cleveland” and “Clockwork Angels Tour” plus a bonus disc of previously unseen and unreleased live material stretching from 1974 to 2013.
To the delight of fans, the bonus disc will include all 8 songs from the Laura Secord Secondary School show in 1974 which features original drummer John Rutsey. That recording includes 2 Rush originals “I’ve Been Runnin;” and “The Loser”, as well as their cover of Larry William’s “Bad Boy”, made famous by The Beatles. The bonus discus also features 5 songs from songs from the Capitol Theatre in 1976 such as “Anthem” and “Lakeside Park”, the rarely performed full, 7-part version of “2112” filmed in 1997, “Lock and Key” from the Hold Your Fire tour, as well as footage from the glorious evening when Rush fans got their beloved band inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Rush are renowned for the energy and excitement of their live concerts and this set brings together some of their finest performances. The 10 DVD (or 6 Blu-ray) discs are contained in a stunning 52 page hardback book measuring 305mm x 225mm with the 10 discs contained in 5 additional rigid insert pages each holding two discs. The 52 pages of the book are filled with memorabilia and photographs documenting 40 years of Rush live in concert. This is the ultimate collection of Rush live performances, beautifully presented.
Pre-order your copy from Rush Backstage here:
Rush – R40 – BLU-RAY DISC CONTENTS
(DVD content is the same – except where noted – but across 10 discs)
Disc One – Rush In Rio *
1) Tom Sawyer 2) Distant Early Warning 3) New World Man 4) Roll the Bones 5) Earthshine 6) YYZ 7) The Pass 8) Bravado 9) The Big Money 10) The Trees 11) Freewill 12) Closer to the Heart 13) Natural Science 14) One Little Victory 15) Driven 16) Ghost Rider 17) Secret Touch 18) Dreamline 19) Red Sector A 20) Leave That Thing Alone 21) O Baterista 22) Resist 23) 2112 24) Limelight 25) La Villa Strangiato 26) The Spirit of Radio 27) Encore Medley: By-Tor and the Snow Dog / Cygnus X-1 / Working Man
The Documentary – The Boys in Brazil
A film by Andrew MacNaughtan
Disc Two – R30 *
1) R30 Overture (Finding My Way / Anthem / Bastille Day / A Passage To Bangkok / Cygnus X-1 / Hemispheres) 2) The Spirit of Radio 3) Force Ten 4) Animate 5) Subdivisions 6) Earthshine 7) Red Barchetta 8) Roll the Bones 9) Bravado** 10) YYZ** 11) The Trees** 12) The Seeker 13) One Little Victory** 14) Tom Sawyer 15) Dreamline 16) Secret Touch** 17) Between the Wheels 18) Mystic Rhythms 19) Red Sector A** 20) Der Trommler 21) Resist 21) Heart Full of Soul 22) Medley: 2112 / La Villa Strangiato** / By-Tor and the Snow Dog** / Xanadu / Working Man 23) Summertime Blues 24) Crossroads 25) Limelight
Disc Three – Snakes & Arrows Live
1) Limelight 2) Digital Man 3) Entre Nous 4) Mission 5) Freewill 6) The Main Monkey Business 7) The Larger Bowl 8) Secret Touch 9) Circumstances 10) Between the Wheels 11) Dreamline 12) Far Cry 13) Workin’ Them Angels 14) Armor and Sword 15) Spindrift 16) The Way the Wind Blows 17) Subdivisions 18) Natural Science 19) Witch Hunt 20) Malignant Narcissism – De Slagwerker 21) Hope 22) Distant Early Warning 23) The Spirit of Radio 24) Tom Sawyer 25) One Little Victory 26) A Passage to Bangkok 27) YYZ
Oh, Atlanta! The Authorized Bootlegs
(1) Ghost of a Chance (2) Red Barchetta (3) The Trees (4) 2112 / The Temples of Syrinx
Disc Four – Time Machine 2011: Live In Cleveland
1) The “Real” History of Rush Episode No.2 “Don’t Be Rash” 2) The Spirit of Radio 3) Time Stand Still 4) Presto 5) Stick it Out 6) Workin’ Them Angels 7) Leave That Thing Alone 8) Faithless 9) BU2B 10) Freewill 11) Marathon 12) Subdivisions 13) The “Real” History of Rush Episode No.17 “…and Rock and Roll is my name.” 14) Tom Sawyer 15) Red Barchetta 16) YYZ 17) Limelight 18) The Camera Eye 19) Witch Hunt 20) Vital Signs 21) Caravan 22) Moto Perpetuo (featuring Love For Sale) 23) O’Malley’s Break 24) Closer to the Heart 25) 2112 Overture / The Temple of Syrinx 26) Far Cry 27) La Villa Strangiato 28) Working Man
Outtakes from “History Of Rush Episodes 2 & 17”
“Tom Sawyer” featuring the cast of “The “Real” History of Rush Episode 17”
“Need Some Love” live at Laura Secord Secondary School
“Anthem” Live from Passaic, New Jersey
Disc Five – Clockwork Angels Tour
1) Subdivisions 2) The Big Money 3) Force Ten 4) Grand Designs 5) The Body Electric 6) Territories 7) The Analog Kid 8) Bravado 9) Where’s My Thing? / Here It Is! (drum solo) 10) Far Cry 11) Caravan 12) Clockwork Angels 13) The Anarchist 14) Carnies 15) The Wreckers 16) Headlong Flight / Drumbastica 17) Peke’s Repose (guitar solo)/ Halo Effect 18) Seven Cities of Gold 19) Wish Them Well 20) The Garden 21) Dreamline 22) The Percussor (I) Binary Love Theme (II) Steambanger’s Ball (drum solo) 23) Red Sector A 24) YYZ 25) The Spirit of Radio 26) Tom Sawyer 27) 2112
Bonus tracks: (1) Limelight (soundcheck recording) (2) Middletown Dreams (3) The Pass (4) Manhattan Project
Can’t Stop Thinking Big (tour documentary) / Behind The Scenes (featuring Jay Baruchel) / Outtakes / Interview with Dwush / Family Goy / Family Sawyer / The Watchmaker / Office of The Watchmaker
Disc Six – R40 Bonus Disc
Laura Secord Secondary School 1974
1) Need Some Love 2) Before and After 3) Best I Can 4) I’ve Been Runnin’ 5) Bad Boy 6) The Loser 7) Working Man 8) In the Mood (partial)
Capitol Theatre 1976
1) Bastille Day 2) Anthem 3) Lakeside Park 4) 2112 5) Fly By Night/In the Mood
Lock and Key 1988
Molson Amphitheatre 1997
1) Limelight 2) Half the World 3) Limbo 4) Virtuality 5) Nobody’s Hero 6) Test for Echo 7) Leave That Thing Alone/Drum Solo 8) 2112 (all seven parts)
I Still Love You Man 2011
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction 2013
1) 2112 featuring Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nick Raskulinecz 2) Tom Sawyer (3) The Spirit of Radio
* DVD version to also include:
Rush In Rio
(1) YYZ (2) O Baterista (3) La Villa Strangiato
(1) By-Tor movie (2) Anthem 1975
Interviews: (1) 1979 Hamilton, Ivor Wynne Stadium (2) 1981 Le Studio, Quebec (3) 1990 Artist of the Decade (4) 1994 Juno Hall of Fame Induction (5) 2002 Vapor Trails Tour
From the Anthem vault: (1) Fly By Night (2) Finding My Way (mpeg1 from Rock Concert) (3) In The Mood (mpeg1 from Rock Concert) (4) Circumstances (5) La Villa Strangiato (6) A Farewell to Kings (7) Xanadu (8) The Spirit of Radio (Soundcheck 1979 Ivor Wynne Stadium) (9) Freewill (Toronto Rocks 2003) (10) Closer to the Heart (Canada For Asia 2005)
** Only available on Blu-ray